Skip to main content

HW8 - Birthdays and America's Favorite Age




HW Praxis #29 - Be thankful for birthdays despite your age, indeed because of it.  Many others have not lived to see your age.  Life is a gift and your birthday is your opportunity to be thankful for it.


There have been a slew of birthdays in my family, including my own, and I've come to really view them in a different light.   Then I started to wonder which of my ages was the best, and sure, certain, that it wasn't the one I was having.  After all , we all wish we were younger, right?

Well, apparently not.  According to this poll, fifty is the most popular age.

According to a recent Harris interactive poll, the magic number is 50...Not surprisingly, younger people chose younger ages. Echo boomers, ages 18 to 36, thought the perfect age was 38. Gen Xers, ages 37 to 48, wanted to stay put at 49. Baby boomers, ages 49 to 67, thought 55 was pretty awesome. While mature adults, ages 68 and older, were happy to hold steady at 67.

Fifty?  What is going on here?   As I'm approaching that number ( clawing my way against the flow of the too-slippery surface of space-time continuum), my emotional self wants to  hide under my bed when I hit that number and eat ice cream until my brain shuts down. Apparently there's an angle here to think fifty a non-calamity:

“You have almost every opportunity,” says Barbara Becker Holstein, a psychologist with a private practice in Long Branch, N.J. “You’re young enough to be famous or start an organic farm and still have the muscle tone to work eight hours a day. You’re old enough to have wisdom but young enough that your parents are still alive so you have a generational experience. If you’re tired, you can ask the young man on the bus to get out of his seat for you. Or you can date the young man. The more I think about it, the more appealing it is.”  
Holstein says all of the recent medical – and cosmetic -- developments have also helped to give 50 a facelift.
“I really think 50 is the new 30 to 35,” she says. “For a woman, you can stay stylish and fit and maybe get your hair dyed or just do a little [cosmetic] tune-up and feel, ‘Wow, this is great.’ In terms of childbearing, you can basically say forget it or if you want a baby at 50 or 53, you can get your hormones juiced up and go for it.”




I think this trend of enjoying later years, rather than youth, is really healthy for the nation.  By looking forward to more of your life and seeing the possibility in the moment, regardless of what some calendar says, opens us up to new realities.   And we have huge examples in our life of those who are older doing incredible things.  Check out RUSH, my favorite band. They're all in their 60's and still touring, and so is the band Who.  So with those folks running around a stage when in the past they would be in a retirement home, it sets the bar for how active we can and should be.   In the end, its just a number.

And, in this special birthday episode, I give you the gift of coffee news - (HW#2 - Coffee is good for you):

"A study of South Korean coffee consumers found moderate drinkers are less likely to have signs of blocked arteries than people who drank no coffee — or those who drank five or more cups a day.
People who drank three to just under five cups a day of filtered coffee were the least likely to have evidence of heart disease, Dr. Yoosoo Chang of Kangbuk Samsung Hospital in Seoul and colleagues found.
It’s one more piece of data in a growing body of studies that suggest a few cups of coffee a day can be healthful. Federal advisers have recognized this, suggesting that new federal guidelines on what to eat include an okay on moderate coffee intake."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DRINK COFFEEEEEE!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you in a Dismal Nitch? How to know and how to get out!

Recently my family and I went to visit a place called Astoria, Oregon, and had a wonderful time. There was delightful breakfast place called Pigs 'n Pancakes. We stayed in the Astoria Riverside Inn, which was wonderful, with large rooms, game systems, and a wonderful view. Yet, most of all, we were surrounded by Lewis and Clark sites.  Are You Here?   If you're not aware, the Lewis and Clark expedition started in St. Louis in the early 1800s. Those two brave gentlemen and a party of more brave gentlemen and at least one woman, Sacagawea, made their trek all the way to the Pacific coast.  On their way out to the Pacific, however, they got stuck. They got stuck here: Now you have to understand, these guys were tough.  Stopping them wasn't easy.  Yet, so close to the ocean, they get stuck in this little outcropping.   Here's how he describes it: Rain soaked the expedition party that night, and it continued at intervals throughout the next day, November

Happy Wisdom Patterns

From software development and prior to that architecture, learned people have leveraged the power of patterns.  Patterns are structures of learning that can be applied to achieve consistent results.  For architecture its perhaps the golden mean, the mechanisms to create a bridge. In software , my favorite was MVC or model-view-controller .  This is states that User interface must be separate from the data, and from the control ( business logic or execution) .   I've seen folks not follow this pattern and then find themselves updating all three layers of software for changes that otherwise would have been simple had they followed the pattern. Thus we must ask if Happiness has a pattern, if happy wisdom, the two combine, have certain approaches that would glean greater success than just going it in a haphazard sort of way.   Of course I propose there are.   Before I get into the first few, lets discuss why these are not rules or laws .  The trouble with "rules of life&q

Ashton Speech repost

So, I'm trying to diversify my blogging and this is from my blog.joefecarotta.com, and fits directly into the theme of Happy Wisdom.  This blog answers the question - what wisdom will make you more happy?  How will concepts that lead to happiness lead to wisdom?     We start our journey together here:  [Ashton Kutcher]  What’s up? Oh WOW! Okay, okay, lets be, lets be brutally honest, this is the old guy award, this is like – This is like the grandpa award, and after this, I get to go to the geriatric home. First of all, I don’t have a career without you guys. I don’t get to do any of the things I get to do without you. You know, I thought that uh – hi! I thought that it might be interesting in – in Hollywood in the industry the stuff we do, there’s a lot of insider secrets to keeping your career going and a lot of insider secrets to to to making things tick and uh I feel like a fraud. My name is actually not even Ashton. Ashton is my middle name. My first name’s Chris. A