Skip to main content

HW 7 - The Magic of tidying up and Wolverine's Workout Wisdom



HW Praxis#21 - Start over - scrap everything, think fresh



I have been on a semi-mission to spend money on books at my local Barnes and Nobel  to ensure it stays there, and this trip I'm delighted to report that I've got a new find - Marie Kondo's "the life-changing magic of tidying up"

She is a Japanese organization consultant, which definitely caught my eye.  For those who haven't been to Japan, or don't know Japanese people, they are an astoundingly organized culture.  Notice I didn't say all Japanese people are organised.  "All people do X" is a silly generalization regardless of what you're talking about.  However, I do believe cultures have properties, just like people. consider the definition of culture  "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively" and I would say tidiness is part of that.  My daughter is studying Japanese and says this property is shared down to the handwriting. 

Anyway, having a Japanese organization consultant sounds like having the biggest giant from the land of giants, or the best pizza from New York, or the loudest Seahawk fan...well, you get the point.  

I just got the book but check out these quotes, which are certain to be candidates for the HW Praxis List. 

"The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.” 

“People cannot change their habits without first changing their way of thinking.” 

HW Praxis #22 - It is never ever too late to do the thing you really need to do

I just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past and loved it.  What I was really impressed by, in addition to all the cool story elements and effects (nice to see the 70s again), was Hugh Jackman.  I've been reading a bit about weight lifting and getting back into it after your 30s, and this guy actually improved during his 40s...check it. 

Left is 30s, Right is 44 - yikes

But what's interesting is what he said this about this, and has become HW Praxis#23:

Everybody has a dream, and you may think you want it more than everyone else, but you don’t. Everybody wants what they want badly. The difference is, who’s prepared to put in the work to get it. That’s why it has to be the thing you want to do.

The Happy Wisdom praxes link together like legos, and 22 and 23 are perfect for each other. Now, I've read what Hugh has done to look like that, and it is not for the faint of heart. 

 Nevertheless, if we could look even close to that, or have a life 80% as orderly as Ms. Marie Kondo, wouldn't we be in a fantastic place? 




~~~~
Here's my sources for this episode - Enjoy! 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mutant-strength-hugh-jackmans-wolverine-workout-plan.html
http://www.mensfitness.com/life/entertainment/hugh-jackman-no-more-mr-nice-guy?page=3
http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering/dp/1607747308

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you in a Dismal Nitch? How to know and how to get out!

Recently my family and I went to visit a place called Astoria, Oregon, and had a wonderful time. There was delightful breakfast place called Pigs 'n Pancakes. We stayed in the Astoria Riverside Inn, which was wonderful, with large rooms, game systems, and a wonderful view. Yet, most of all, we were surrounded by Lewis and Clark sites.  Are You Here?   If you're not aware, the Lewis and Clark expedition started in St. Louis in the early 1800s. Those two brave gentlemen and a party of more brave gentlemen and at least one woman, Sacagawea, made their trek all the way to the Pacific coast.  On their way out to the Pacific, however, they got stuck. They got stuck here: Now you have to understand, these guys were tough.  Stopping them wasn't easy.  Yet, so close to the ocean, they get stuck in this little outcropping.   Here's how he describes it: Rain soaked the expedition party that night, and it continued at intervals throughout the next day, November

Happy Wisdom Patterns

From software development and prior to that architecture, learned people have leveraged the power of patterns.  Patterns are structures of learning that can be applied to achieve consistent results.  For architecture its perhaps the golden mean, the mechanisms to create a bridge. In software , my favorite was MVC or model-view-controller .  This is states that User interface must be separate from the data, and from the control ( business logic or execution) .   I've seen folks not follow this pattern and then find themselves updating all three layers of software for changes that otherwise would have been simple had they followed the pattern. Thus we must ask if Happiness has a pattern, if happy wisdom, the two combine, have certain approaches that would glean greater success than just going it in a haphazard sort of way.   Of course I propose there are.   Before I get into the first few, lets discuss why these are not rules or laws .  The trouble with "rules of life&q

Ashton Speech repost

So, I'm trying to diversify my blogging and this is from my blog.joefecarotta.com, and fits directly into the theme of Happy Wisdom.  This blog answers the question - what wisdom will make you more happy?  How will concepts that lead to happiness lead to wisdom?     We start our journey together here:  [Ashton Kutcher]  What’s up? Oh WOW! Okay, okay, lets be, lets be brutally honest, this is the old guy award, this is like – This is like the grandpa award, and after this, I get to go to the geriatric home. First of all, I don’t have a career without you guys. I don’t get to do any of the things I get to do without you. You know, I thought that uh – hi! I thought that it might be interesting in – in Hollywood in the industry the stuff we do, there’s a lot of insider secrets to keeping your career going and a lot of insider secrets to to to making things tick and uh I feel like a fraud. My name is actually not even Ashton. Ashton is my middle name. My first name’s Chris. A